The dialing rules influence the formatting of phone numbers when dialing from a PC.
The phone number is formatted in this order:
All characters apart from + * # 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z are removed. All letters are turned into capitals.
- Vanity phone number recognition
If the number contains one of the configured vanity numbers and if the letters following it are valid according to the ITU E.161 rules the number is first converted into dialable digits.
- Further formatting
All digits apart from + * # 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 are removed.
- Recognition of specific numbers
A decision is made based on specialnumbers.xml as to whether it is an special number (normally emergency numbers). If the number is stored in the xml file it is dialed externally without further formatting.
- Recognition of specific external numbers
The decision will be made based on the rules for External Phone Numbers about whether an external phone number is involved or not. If an external phone number is detected, it will be dialed externally without additional formatting.
- Recognition of internal numbers
A decision is made by means of the internal numbers as to whether it is an internal number in the system. If an internal number is recognized it is dialed without further formatting.
- Phone number standardisation
The phone number will be converted to the international numbering plan.
- Transfer of Project Settings
If dialing has been initiated in connection with a Project Identifier to be dialed through the telephone system, it will now be applied to the phone number to be dialed.
- Using least cost routing
If configured, the rules for the least cost routing process will be applied.
Least Cost Routing (LCR) will not be used, if:
- the phone number to be dialed involves a special external or an internal phone number
- Call Forwarding has been configured (the applied call forwarding number will be considered independent of the time of day or week and will therefore not be considered by LCR).
- Transformation of external phone numbers into internal numbers
If you have configured a system phone number (system line) a check is made as to whether the phone number is an internal number. If an internal number is recognized the number is shortened.
- Using the PC dialing rules
The phone number runs through the special rules for PC dialing.
- Abbreviation of long Phone Numbers from Other Locations
To the extent that the Location Networking has been configured so internationally formatted phone numbers from other locations will be abbreviated to their DDI phone numbers, the phone number will now be abbreviated accordingly
- Transformation into a dialable number
The phone number is reformatted according to the rules of the configured country in a dialable phone number. The dialing rules of countries are saved in the Configuration file countries.xml.
- Using external dialing codes
The appropriate external dialing code(s) is/are added if the number has not been identified as internal yet.
- Using the PC final dialing rules
The PC final dialing rules are applied directly before the phone number is sent to the phone system.
- Dialing the number
The number is sent to the phone system.
Dialing Phone Numbers directly without using Dialing Rules
Prefixing the phone number with an exclamation point ! will avoid the use of dialing rules. The phone number will then only be transferred directly to the telephone system driver without any formatting.